Beliefs, mission & values
Great schools are transformative. They improve the lives of the students they serve and create new possibilities for the communities where they are located.
- Our education system has never effectively served Black, Latino, or low-income students.
- Children—no matter their background or circumstances—can excel under the right conditions.
- The perspectives of community members must be valued and their voices should shape education innovation and transformation.
- Great teachers and school leaders are the most critical ingredients for student success.
- Great schools have the autonomy to innovate and make decisions at the school and classroom levels and are held accountable for achieving excellent results for their students.
The Mind Trust strives to provide every Indianapolis student access to an excellent education by amplifying the power of neighborhoods and communities to lead education change, supporting schools to grow and excel in a thriving education ecosystem, and promoting racial equity in education.
Indianapolis will be a city where every child has access to an excellent education in pursuit of a day when race and income are no longer predictors of life outcomes.
We value the diverse perspectives of our community and stakeholders, particularly those who share the backgrounds of our city’s students. We seek to strengthen our work by acting with empathy, learning from others, and leading through partnership.
We encourage and seek innovations that challenge the status quo. We forge new paths by responding to problems with visionary solutions and pursuing implementation with courage.
We operate with the unwavering belief that all students and communities deserve the opportunity to thrive. Because of this, we invest in ideas and leaders to build systems that eliminate barriers, elevate opportunity, and amplify the power of communities.
We act boldly and persistently to create outstanding educational opportunities for all students across our city, both now and in the future. We believe that great schools lead students to academic success and transform communities and create new opportunities in the lives of their students.
We act firmly by our values. When necessary, we make tough decisions, follow through on our commitments, and are responsible stewards of our resources.
We collaborate to spark innovation and develop transformative ideas. We care for our colleagues, laugh together often, and encourage excellence in one another.