Innovation School Fellowship
During the 2014 legislative session, the Indiana General Assembly passed historic legislation paving the way for excellent leaders to launch more high quality schools within Indianapolis' largest district, Indianapolis Public Schools.
These schools, called Innovation Network Schools, will operate under contract with IPS and will have access to district buildings and other resources. But they will be free from IPS management, many state laws, and collective bargaining agreements, giving them the autonomy and accountability that are hallmarks of high performing schools.
The Mind Trust is leveraging the power of this law by providing outstanding leaders the much-needed time and support to plan the launch of successful Innovation Network Schools.
Through our Innovation School Fellowship, we select talented educators, principals or other innovators from education or other sectors with the skills to launch excellent schools and provide them with a full salary and benefits so they can spend time planning their schools' design and rollout. In the years following the fellowship, each Fellow will lead his or her school (as principal or head of school) according to his or her Innovation Network School agreement with IPS.
Innovation School Fellows will receive significant support during their planning time, including:
• A competitive compensation package including salary, healthcare and benefits;
• Office space at The Mind Trust's offices during the Fellowship;
• Opportunities to travel to engage with leaders at some of the nation's best schools;
• Extensive feedback and advice from local and national experts on their school designs at two key stages of development, as well as ongoing expert counsel and feedback on their developing plans;
• Access to the national school-incubation working group in which The Mind Trust participates and helped launch; and
• Sessions with key IPS leaders to confer on issues such as district budgeting practices, facilities management, assessments, services, and federal and state reporting requirements.
Anyone may apply for the Innovation School Fellowship.