Innovation School Fellowship
The Mind Trust selects talented leaders to launch high quality, autonomous schools within Indianapolis' largest district, Indianapolis Public Schools (IPS), through our Innovation School Fellowship.
These autonomous schools, called Innovation Network Schools, operate under contract with IPS and will have access to district buildings and other resources but are free from IPS management, many state laws, and collective bargaining agreements, giving them the autonomy and accountability that are hallmarks of high performing schools. A law that passed in 2014, Public Law 1321, allows IPS to create Innovation Network Schools in place of chronically failing or underused schools.
The Mind Trust seeks talented educators, principals or other innovators from education or other sectors to apply for the fellowship. Fellows receive a full salary and benefits so they can spend time planning their schools' design and rollout over a year (or in some cases more). In the years following the fellowship, each Fellow will lead his or her school (as principal or head of school) according to his or her Innovation Network School agreement with IPS.
Innovation School Fellows will receive significant support during their planning time, including:
• A competitive compensation package including salary, healthcare and benefits;
• Office space at The Mind Trust's offices during the Fellowship;
• Opportunities to travel to engage with leaders at some of the nation's best schools;
• Extensive feedback and advice from local and national experts on their school designs at two key stages of development, as well as ongoing expert counsel and feedback on their developing plans;
• Access to the national school-incubation working group in which The Mind Trust participates and helped launch; and
• Sessions with key IPS leaders to confer on issues such as district budgeting practices, facilities management, assessments, services, and federal and state reporting requirements.